Saturday, March 27, 2010

Some magic bullets for education | The Australian

I've just read the following article by Noel Pearson in The Australian newspaper - Some magic bullets for education The Australian which I felt I had to share. Surely this can't be right? The inequity in education standards set for indigenous students is apalling. I am only speaking from my own limited understanding of the situation and the problems with resources and educational delivery to indigenous students, but setting a benchmark for educational professionals that only half of their students need to meet the national standards for literacy and numeracy at the completion of their primary schooling is discouraging to both the teacher and the students. To me this would promote complacency and is a disservice to these children.

Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment